Selecting the best tablet for reading PDF files is quite a time taking the task, we have enlisted some high-rated tablets. We have shortlisted only those items we found to have all the required features to read PDF text files and ebooks.
We looked at two sorts of tablets in our top picks: eReaders and multipurpose tablets. Each option has advantages and disadvantages. For example, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Oasis are intended exclusively for reading.
As a result, they provide an excellent reading experience. However, acquiring these gadgets limits you to simply reading PDFs and ebooks.
Multifunctional tablets, on the contrary hand, may assist you with far more than one work. For example, you can also view movies and use apps on a tablet, such as the Microsoft Surface Pro and Lenovo Flex 5.
Tablets with excellent, elevated displays received better ratings. Our recommendations also included those with a brilliant display with tunable brightness.
Regarding budget considerations, tablets that were affordable, cheap, and gave a constant PDF file experience without latency were scored better. Also, we have considered those with decent Bluetooth connectivity.
A tablet with the Windows platform is better compatible with extra applications and was highlighted in the guide when relevant. Similarly, we investigated the Tablets with stylus connections for the reader who wanted to alter the PDF document. At the same time, PDF files are becoming increasingly significant in extracting information in many formats.
Top 6 PDF Reader Tablets
- Kindle Paperwhite PDF Reading Tablet
- Lenovo 2022 Newest IdeaPad Flex 5 PDF Tablet
- Fire HD 10 tablet Full HD PDF Tablet
- Kobo Libra 2 eReader Glare Free Touchscreen Tablet
- Kindle Oasis Tablet with page turn buttons for Reading PDF
- Microsoft Surface Pro 7 10th Gen Intel Core-i5
- Purpose-built for reading
- More books in more places
- Least Strain on Eyes
- Water Resistant Manufacturing
- Go Hands-free
- 8 GB storage
- Display 6.8″ Glare-free
No tablet compares to the Kindle Paperwhite for reading PDF files and electronic books. However, Paperwhite is at the top of our list for various reasons.
It is reasonably priced, optimized for reading, and has excellent battery life.
If we start with the device’s display, Amazon’s 6.8″ 300PPI anti-glare screen, we thoroughly loved reading ebooks and PDF files on this tablet throughout our testing.
Reading on this Kindle makes you feel the same as reading a real book, thanks to the display’s excellent performance.
Also, the battery of the Paperwhite is another distinctive characteristic. See our piece on the Best Amazon Fire HD tablets for reading ebooks if you decide to go with a fire HD. Kindle Paperwhite is popular tablet for reading newspapers online.
You can use the Kindle tablet nonstop for up to 10 weeks. And last, you may keep all your PDF files and ebooks on 32GB of internal memory.
But the downside is that Paperwhite is usable for reading only. So it is not a suitable option if you’re seeking a tablet that can do it all. But if you want a high-quality reading experience, the ideal tablet is the Kindle Paperwhite.
- Increased screen size
- Response times have been improved over the previous generation.
- Notable UI enhancements include faster animations and swipe-down movements.
- USB-C port with exceptional weight and feel
- Not a significant improvement over prior Kindles
- There are no actual page-turn buttons.
- The base model lacks auto-brightness.
- There is no speaker or headphone jack (Bluetooth only)
- AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor
- Smart tech features
- Sharp Graphics
- Windows OS
- 1TB Storage
- Screen Size 16″
- 2-in-1 Laptop
If you regularly work with papers or need a highly adaptable option, this Lenovo Flex two-in-one laptop has the capabilities and flexibility you want. Because of the hinge design and fold-back keyboard of the Windows 10 operating system, you may use it as a touchscreen tablet and an extremely portable laptop.
A digital pen is also included for signing documents and taking notes, and the 10-hour battery life and 1-hour quick charge ensure that you’re always charged and ready to go.
One of the reviewers loved the laptop. He says that it meets all of his requirements for a home computer. This laptop is wonderful for writing lots of documents. Right out of the box, it’s really simple to use.
Moreover, the backlit keyboard allows outdoor typing in the darkness of night. Also, is it convertible to a tablet that is more than sufficient to meet all the reading and writing requirements?
Although expected an improved panel and power, Lenovo’s IdeaPad Flex 5i 14-inch flexible tablet is worth the money with a comfortable keyboard and reasonable functionality.
- It’s as sturdy as a tablet or laptop.
- It has both HDMI and USB-C connectors.
- Touchscreen that is responsive and bright
- A good performance, given the price.
- The color coverage on display is inadequate.
- The battery backup is less than average.
- The active pen is not provided.
- Rather than USB-C charging, a customized power connector is used.
- Octa Core Processor
- Lighter and Thinner
- Split Screen
- Use Amazon Appstore for Downloading
- Handsfree Alexa control
- Storage 32 and 64GB
- Screen Size 10.1″
The Amazon Fire HD 10 will not win any design or performance accolades. However, it competes in a price range dominated by substandard devices from unknown makers, making it the best inexpensive tablet available.
It includes a 10.1″ IPS LCD panel, which is a good size for reading. In addition, Amazon made an outstanding job of minimizing bezels and avoiding using a low-cost TFT display. That is the reason, it is a good tablet for the lawyers for deep studying their cases.
The only Fire tablet with a Full-HD display is this one. So it’s ideal for viewing movies or reading books on the gadget.
Aside from that, you get a 2.0GHz quad-core processor and an additional gig of RAM over the previous edition. This speeds up routine chores like opening and moving between programs and online surfing.
You also get Bluetooth and WiFi connections and hands-free Alexa support. It is ideal if you have other compatible smart-home gadgets.
The HD 10 boasts an excellent battery life, lasting more than ten hours on a single charge. It also has a USB-C connector, making it future-proof. The Fire HD 10 does, however, have some clear shortcomings. But it lacks the Google Play Store, leaving only Amazon’s apps and environment. The good news is that it opens PDF files without difficulty.
In addition, apps like Kindle ebooks, Amazon Prime, and Audible operate flawlessly.
Although Fire HD 10 is the best tablet for PDF if you’re on a low budget and are okay with the software constraints. The Fire HD 10 is likely the finest tablet for streaming Netflix and casual gaming.
- Excellent value for the money.
- The screen is bright and clear.
- Surprisingly loudspeakers
- USB-C has excellent battery life.
- There still needs to be Google Apps.
- The build quality could be better.
- E-ink Display
- Glare Free Touchscreen
- Touch Swiping and Page turn Buttons
- Kobo Audiobooks with Bluetooth Connectivity
- Upto 24000 eBooks
- Storage 32GB
- Screen Size 7″
The Kobo Libra 2’s advanced 7″ HD E Ink Carta 1200 touchscreen provides a sharper display, accelerated page turns, and stronger contrast. In addition, except for your smartphone or tablet, it is always glare-free.
Moreover, the adaptive luminance and blue light reduction technology in ComfortLight PRO reduces visual fatigue and allows you to read late into the night without disrupting your nap. Also, the Dark Mode allows you to display white text on a black backdrop.
Besides, the ergonomically designed Kobo Libra 2 feels nice in your palm. You can swipe the touchscreen to keep the tale flowing or press the page-turn keys if one of your hands is occupied. You may also choose to view it in landscape orientation.
The Kobo tablet is designed to accommodate your hectic life, whether post-workout, on the bus, or feeding your infant back to bed. It integrates Kobo Audiobooks using Wireless Bluetooth technology. It would help if you considered it a hands-free reading alternative for those hectic days.
The best about it is that you can take your tale to the campground, the lake, the tub, or even outside in the rain. Life occurs regardless of the weather, and your literary life may follow suit. In addition, the brilliant tablet is Water resistant for a maximum of sixty minutes in Water as deep as two meters.
- Actual page-turn keys
- USB-C charging
- USB-C charging
- Wide format compatibility
- There is no flat-front design.
- Bluetooth audio functionality is confined.
- The case could be more graceful and impressive.
- Gyro is a twitchier
- Real Paper Reading Feel
- Waterproof structure with page turn buttons
- Headphones wireless connectivity
- Screen Size 7″
- Bold text for enhanced readability
- Storage 32GB
The Kindle Oasis is a more extreme form of the Paperwhite. But what is the distinction between them in terms of their features? Is the Oasis worth the extra money it costs to purchase? Let us investigate.
To begin with, the Kindle Oasis costs precisely twice as much as the Paperwhite as of October 2021. Furthermore, we can confidently state that this pricing discrepancy is justified for various reasons.
Except for the iPad, the Lenovo Yoga is one of the few devices that can be used as a PDF markup tablet due to the inclusion of the Lenovo active pen.
To begin with, the Oasis is far more robust than the Paperwhite (2 GB RAM and a more effective CPU).
Aside from that, the Oasis (like the Paperwhite) is waterproof, so you may read a book while swimming or bathing. In addition, the two Kindle tablets have identical hardware in terms of storage and battery life (32GB of storage and up to 10 weeks of battery autonomy).
In a nutshell, this is a more expensive alternative to Paperwhite. However, the Oasis is your finest option if you enjoy listening to books and reading publications.
- Backlight control
- Slim, eye-catching design
- The screen is bright and clear.
- Waterproof reader
- Incompatibility with overdrive
- OS Windows 10, upgradable to 11
- 10th gen intel core processor
- Battery Life upto 11 Hours
- Faster than Surface Pro 6
- Convertible to tablet
- Screen Size 12.3″
- Storage 256GB
The Surface Pro 7 is a respectable generation of Microsoft’s flagship Windows tablet 2-in-1, improved this year by deserved enhancements like a USB-C connector and powerful “Ice Lake” CPUs.
With laptop-to-tablet adaptability, the new Surface Pro 7 adapts to how you work in the office, at home, or on the go. With a laptop-class Intel Core CPU, all-day battery, Quick on, better graphics, and standby time — as well as additional multitasking connectivity, with both USB-C and USB-A ports — it now provides more horsepower than ever.
The classic Surface Pro 2-in-1 design is combined with high-speed performance to provide superior laptop power, a powerful tablet, or a portable digital canvas.
You can adjust the Kickstand, put on the Type Cover, link with a Surface Pen, and use the 12.3″ touchscreen to play your much-loved applications and games.
Windows 11 brings you closer to the things you care about. Family, relationships, passions, music, and creative works 11 has it all. It includes all you need for whichever comes next, with a fresh new appearance and features that make it easy to be productive.
A powerful Intel CoreTM CPU provides the functionality you want for today’s programs, software, and drivers. More terminals mean more alternatives. USB-A, USB-C, a headphone jack, and a specialized charging port are all included.
So, it allows you to stay in contact all day with up to 15 hours of battery life and Fast Charging to charge from low to full quickly.
In the end, it has a marvelous front-facing 5.0 megapixel 1080p HD camera, an 8MP rear-facing camera with autofocus, twin Studio Mics, video calls, and more come to life. And the sleek design adds grace to its beauty.
- Snappy Processor Intel “Ice Lake”
- Long battery life
- A clear picture
- A well-executed kickstand
- Contain USB-C
- The keyboard is still offered alone.
- There are just two ports and no Thunderbolt integration.
Buying Guide: Which tablet is best for PDF reading?
Having acquired a tablet to meet my business and leisure needs after eight days of comprehensive study, when it comes to choosing a tablet for reading PDF files, the following set of specs best meet the needs of the vast majority of users.
- Screen size ranges from 7 to 10.5 inches. Larger screen size is ideal for reading and creative uses. A 7-inch screen would be enough for most purposes.
- 6-7 hours of screen time every day. Generally, a tablet with a battery capacity larger than 5000mAh would provide excellent battery life.
- A minimum of 3 GB RAM is sufficient for a PDF reader tablet. For severe multitasking and installation of academic/professional software packages, more RAM is ideal.
- Full HD resolution.
- At least 32GB internal RAM is required to install all required software. Because music, photos, and videos are stored on an SD card, an expansion slot is necessary.
- Furthermore, while purchasing a tablet, remember how manufacturers maximize profits by stuffing in trendy and frequently redundant features that are best ignored.
- To maximize revenues, certain manufacturers frequently pre-install software in the tablets they create, for which the producers pay significant fees to the brand. Such programs are frequently difficult to delete and use disc space.
- Brands sometimes pre-load some tablets with an annual/monthly subscription to certain otherwise paid apps/services. The fact is that the cost of such membership is already part of the price of the tablet. As a result, avoiding such marketing tricks can save a significant amount of money.
- Face recognition, Optical Image Stabilization in the camera, waterproofing, and other features are useful in a mobile phone.
In addition to the insights shared above, factors such as the comparison of a regular, stand-alone tablet with a convertible Tablet PC, and which of the two types one should purchase a tablet with based on one’s needs, as well as the display size one should decide to buy based on one’s demands, all are important to consider when deciding the item one should choose.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size tablet is best for reading PDF documents?
Although 7 inches screen size is sufficient for reading text, the image visuals get better as the display grows. The best tablet for reading PDF textbooks should have about 10-inch display. The reason is PDFs may also contain images and photos.
Which is a cheap tablet for reading PDFs with reasonable performance?
The perfect tablet with a reasonable reading experience is Kindle Paperwhite, with the lowest base price. But nowadays, Fire HD 10 is available at a discounted price of Very Merry Deal, which makes it cheaper even at the highest rating than its rivals.
Does a PDF reader tablet have a stylus or touch pen?
Yes, some specifically designed to read a PDF textbook have a stylus or touch pen/pencil. For example, iPads have pencils included or are to be purchased separately.
Every tablet is good for reading PDF documents. But if reading PDF is your only requirement, decide whether you want an e-ink display or an LCD. If you want an e-ink display, get the Kindle Paperwhite. If you want an LCD, get the Microsoft Surface Pro 7.
It all boils down to your budget and needs. If you don’t intend to read much on your device, just the odd PDF document check for an ebook here and there, a tablet is a better option. The tablets indicated above may work as eReaders and have other features you can use daily. However, you cannot read for hours on end on them since the display does not protect against eye strain.
Another thing to think about is where you want to utilize them. For example, do you wish to read outside or while on vacation? eReaders can adjust to varied lighting conditions; some are waterproof to prevent poolside mishaps.
Finally, what will you be reading? Most people overlook the fact that eReaders are gray-scale devices. Color visuals in children’s books, comic books, and periodicals will have a partial impact. As a result, you must assess the information you intend to see.